Real Estate Office (Before)
Daytona Beach, FL
Created as an entry structure to a mid-1920 Mediterranean Revival residential development in Daytona Beach, the Arch was constructed of coquina stone quarried directly from the construction site and modeled after a medieval arched entry in Tarragona, Spain. The tower's ground floor originally served as the developer's sales office with a lecture room and drafting room above.
Throughout its existence the Arch has faced many challenges. In 1942, despite opposition from residents in the area, the northern arch was removed to widen Volusia Avenue and facilitate traffic generated by the establishment of a military compound. Later, when U.S. Highway 92 was expanded in 1980, the remaining structure had to be relocated a short seventy-five feet south in order to accommodate the larger capacity highway.
A short time after, the City of Daytona Beach determined that the arch was in desperate need of restoration and stabilization. We were brought in to preserve the structure, correct all existing problems, and restore the interior.
Due to the small interior spaces and the impracticality in providing heating / air-conditioning systems, functioning restrooms, as well as adding accessibility per the Americans with Disabilities Act, this historic structure in not accessible to the public, but remains a significant visual monument, and gateway, to City of Daytona Beach.
City of Daytona Beach
2004 Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Restoration and Rehabilitation From the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation